Are you looking for ways to increase your water intake? Drinking plenty of water each day has many known health benefits. It helps maintain the balance of your bodily fluids, helps energizes muscles and helps keep your skin looking good. Water can also help you control calories if you drink it instead of higher calorie pop or juice when trying to lose weight.
The research is mixed when it comes to how much water you should drink every day. Some groups, like the Dieticians of Canada, have a guideline of 3 L or 12 cups a day for men and 2.2 L or 9 cups a day for women. Chris Powell from the TV show Extreme Weight Loss says to: Divide your weight in pounds by 2 for the number of ounces you need to drink." So if you weigh 150 pounds, you need to drink 150/2 = 75 ounces 9 cups of water.
But other studies have shown that the “8 cups a day" guideline we all knew growing up was just that, a guideline. Your water intake will also increase if you are being very active or if it's really hot outside.
Whatever the amount, we all know that drinking water is good for you. And if you're having trouble drinking enough or find yourself thirsty throughout the day, here are some easy tips to increase your water intake.
- Choose water to drink when you are thirsty instead of soft drinks or coffee.
- Keep a water bottle nearby when you are at work, at school, at play or out and about.
- Take sips of water while eating meals and snacks.
- Flavour your water with lemon, lime, orange or cucumber slices. Keep a jug of it in your fridge at home or at work for convenience.
- Buy a water purification system so you always have cold and clean tasting water ready for you at home (or work).
- Eat fruits and vegetables that have a high water content. Your food provides an average of 20 percent of your daily hydration.
- Try drinking your water at different temperatures to see what you like best. If you enjoy warm tea for example, warming your water might make it more enjoyable.
Challenge yourself this week and try to increase your water intake. Follow us on Pinterest for more weekly challenges!